“It’s family tradition to make pressed Christmas cookies and thumbprint cookies every year. The only problem is both my mother and grandmother each had their own recipe so each year I was torn as to which recipe to use. Having experimented, I came up with a third generation recipe of my own! For my Mothers recipe see Mom’s Butter Cookies and for my version see Shortbread Spritz Cookies.”
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups sifted flour
I usually double this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Use ungreased cookie sheet.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add beaten egg yolk.
- Add flour, knead until soft.
- Roll dough into balls. Place 1/4 candied cherry on top and press with fork or press through cookie press (this recipe is a little hard to use a cookie press as the brown sugar makes it a bit heavier but more tasty).
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes.
- Roll dough into walnut sized ball. Roll ball in finely chopped pecans, walnuts or coconut.
- Place on cookie sheet, press hole in centre of cookie with finger. This will flatten cookie somewhat.
- Add small amount jelly in centre hole (raspberry or black current is best).
- Bake 12-15 minutes.
- Flatten dough into base of 9 by 9 inch pan. Score cut lines and add small marks with fork for decoration if desired.
- Bake 20-30 minutes.
- Let cool. Cut into squares.
Yield: varies, depend on size of cookies
Leave a Reply