“A simple tomato sauce that has a rich tomato favour. Use this sauce on it’s own or as a base for other recipes. I used unpeeled tomatoes and puree the sauce which makes this a simple recipe to throw together.”
- 3 1/2 pounds or 3 to 4 cups chopped tomatoes, roughly pureed in blender or food processor
- 5-7 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 small onion, diced
- 12-15 basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon salt & pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Have all ingredients diced and ready as this is a quick sauce to put together.
- In saucepan, combine olive oil, garlic, onions, basil, salt & pepper. Heat for 1 minute.
- Add semi-pureed tomatoes. Bring to boil and cook on low, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until reduced by about one half. Stir often to avoid burning bottom.
- Turn off heat and let stand 15 minutes.
- Puree sauce with hand blender.
- Serve over pasta.
Yield: 4-6 servings
5 OTHER USES FOR BASIC TOMATO SAUCE
Pizza Sauce: add 1 teaspoons sugar, 1/2 can tomato paste and 1 teaspoon each dried basic & oregano to single recipe of sauce. Simmer for one hour until thick.
Rose Sauce: add 1/2 cup cooking cream to single recipe and heat over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring often. Serve over ravioli or similar pasta.
Chicken or Turkey Parmesan: Cook breaded chicken or turkey cutlets. Top with mozzarella and heat until melted. Meanwhile cook spaghetti. Plate spaghetti, topped with ample amount of heated sauce. Place chicken or turkey cutlet on top.
Bolognaise: Brown ground beef. Add chopped onions & celery & cook for 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce base and splash of red wine. Simmer for 1 hour so meat absorbs flavours.
Penne arrabiata: Add crushed chillies to base tomato sauce when making. Serve over penne with parmesan or romano cheese.