“So simple yet tasty this hearty soup tastes like garlic baked potato in a bowl. ”
- 6 potatoes, half peeled, cut into small chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bulb garlic, separate cloves but do not peel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup light cream or milk
- 1 slice bacon, cooked, cut into small pieces
- grated cheddar cheese (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place potatoes in bowl, drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper. Stir and place on one side of cookie sheet, spreading out evenly.
- Place onions in same bowl, drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper. Stir and place on other half of cookie sheet, spreading out evenly.
- Place garlic cloves in corner of cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake all above for 25-45 minutes (depending upon how big you cut the potatoes, potatoes should be fork tender but not falling apart).
- Remove when potatoes are roasted. Squeeze garlic out of skins.
- In large saucepan, add 3 cups chicken broth and water. Add potatoes, onions, roasted garlic puree and bacon. Bring to soft boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend with hand blender until nearly smooth (leave some small chunks depending upon how you like it). Stir in cream (or milk). Season with salt & pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with grated cheddar cheese.
Yield: 8-10 servings