“Parmesan cheese gives this gratin dish a real intense flavour.”
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- For sauce, in a medium saucepan, cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir until thicken and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- In a greased 3 quart au gratin baking dish, layer half the potatoes. Pour half the sauce over potatoes. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat with remaining potatoes and sauce. Cover and chill remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 35 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle top of gratin with remaining cheese. Bake about 35 minutes more or until potatoes are tender and top is golden. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 8 servings
Leave a Reply