“Pesto sauce has so many uses, beyond just pasta.”
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- Place garlic and salt in food processor and pulse until forms a paste.
- Add pine nuts, pulse again until smooth.
- Add basil and olive oil. Process until well combined (but do not puree).
- Remove and add parmesan cheese.
Freezing: Pesto is easily frozen and used all winter as a seasoning. To freeze I make the recipe above (usually in a double or triple batch) but omit the cheese. Spoon basil mixture into plastic egg cartons or ice cube trays, cover with plastic wrap and freeze. Remove as many cubes as you think you will need and add parmesan once thawed.
YieldD: about 2 cups with cheese, 1 1/4 cup without