“I love beets when they are ready in the garden. This is a simple but elegant way to serve fresh beets.”
- beets, boiled and sliced
- goat cheese
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Cut off the greens of the beets leaving about 1 inch of the stem on. Do not cut root end. This will keep the beet juice from leaching out during cooking.
- Wash beets and place in boiling water. Cover with about 1 inch extra water on top.
- Boil, partially covered, for about 40 to 50 minutes depending on size of beets. Beets are cooked when a knife will pierce beet but do not do this too early as most of the juice will then leak out into the water.
- Drain and cool.
- Once cooled, peel and slice.
- Arrange on a serving platter. Place drops of goat cheese around beets. Drizzle with olive oil and if desired balsamic vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.
Yield: 10-12 servings