“This soup is super easy since it is made in a slow cooker. I made the mistake of doubling the recipe once. While it tasted great I ran out of room in my slow cooker and had to pour the soup in a larger pot on the stove to finish it off.”
- 1 16 ounce package dried yellow split peas, sorted & rinsed
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup carrots, diced small
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced small
- 6 slices summer sausage, diced small (you could use ham as well)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can corn
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT corn in slow cooker.
- Cover, cooks on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Before serving, add corn and a little more broth if soup is too thick. Let heat through.
- Serve with rich bread like sourdough bread.
This soup can be served the day it is made. No need to puree as the peas soften themselves in the slow cooker. You can substitute green peas however I prefer yellow peas.
Freezing: This soup freezes well. Add a little more broth if it thickens too much.
Yield: 6-8 servings