“A richer variation of fresh tomato soup with extra garlic and herbs.”
- 12 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeds removed.
- 3 medium red onions, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups hot chicken broth
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- In large soup kettle, melt butter with oil. Saute onion and garlic until transparent.
- Meanwhile, peel and remove seeds. Set aside in large bowl.
- Add flour to onions and cook stirring 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, stirring constantly so bottom does not burn. Add chicken stock. Add salt, pepper and dried herbs.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add basil, simmer 10 more minutes.
- Cool then puree leaving a few tomatoes chunky.
Freezing: This soup freezes very well, a great way to use up the end of season tomatoes.
Yield: 8-10 servings
Leave a Reply