“Savoury tarts make a great appetizer or snack food. These mushroom tartlets go quickly at any get together. ”
- 4 ounces shitake mushrooms, diced
- 3 ounces cremini mushrooms, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped italian parsely
- mini tart shells for appetizer or pie shell for full quiche
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cook the shitakes over medium-high heat until just browned in 1 tablespoon each butter and olive oil. Remove from heat.
- Cook cremini over high heat in 1 tablespoon each butter and olive oil until they release and reabsorb their juices, then lower the heat and cook slowly until they are dark brown and intense.
- Season the mushrooms with salt & pepper. Cool briefly.
- Chop mushrooms finely.
- In mushroom pan, caramelize the onion in 1 tablespoon each of butter. Just before removing the pan from the heat, add the garlic and deglaze the pan with vinegar.
- Add parsley and mix in the mushrooms. Adjust the seasoning, the mushrooms should be slightly salty and acidic so they will be able to stand up to the pastry.
- Place mixture into tart shells.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.