“A bright and colourful way to use left-over cooked rice. In the summer substitute whatever fresh vegetables you have in the garden. Serve it warm as a side dish or cold as a rice salad.”
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup onions, diced small
- 1 cup mushrooms (cremini and shitake) diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red and yellow peppers, diced small
- 1/4 cup zucchini, diced small
- 1/2 cup spinach, beet tops or swiss chard, sliced lengthwise and cut small
- 3 cups cooked rice
- salt and pepper
- seasonings to taste (oregano, tuscan mix, basil)
- Cook rice and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in pan, add onion, mushrooms and garlic and cook on medium-low, to release flavour, about 2 minutes.
- Add remaining vegetables. Cook, stirring often until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and any herbs.
- Add rice & stir to heat through.
- Serve warm or cold as a rice salad.
Yield: 4-6 servings