“I have tried a few different recipes for Pecan Pie Squares or Bars but this is by far the most decadent. The crust is almost shortbread like and the topping is filled with pecans. Cut the squares into small pieces and dip one side in melted semi-sweet chocolate for a nice presentation. I cut large squares then cut each square diagonally to make small triangles.”
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For Pecan Filling:
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/3 cups corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups chopped pecans (best chopped into small pieces).
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 15 x 10 x 1 inch jelly roll pan.
- Beat flour, butter, sugar and salt in large bowl until crumbly (mixture will be dry).
- Press mixture firmly in pan. Bake about 20 minutes until light golden brown.
- Mix ingredients except pecans in large bowl until blended. Stir in pecans.
- Pour filling evenly over baked layer.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until filling is set.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.
My recipe says you can substitute walnuts for the pecans although I have never done this myself.
Yield: 60 small squares