A meat lovers sauce with a slight kick from the italian sausage, this Bolognese style pasta sauce is great on a cold winter day.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 125 grams (about 4 ounces) pancetta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound mild italian sausage meat (I used Johnsonville)
- 2-3 carrots, chopped fine (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 1 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4-5 cups tomatoes, lightly pureed in juice
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon each salt, pepper, basil
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat in dutch oven or large heavy pot. Add pancetta and cook until slightly crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and sausage. Cook, stirring often, until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain excess fat but some is necessary for flavour.
- Add carrots, onions and garlic. Cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes until tender.
- Add red wine. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer. Cook about 10 minutes or until wine has reduced by about one half.
- Add tomatoes, cream or milk, salt, pepper and basil. Simmer for 45 to 60 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally until much of liquid has reduced and colour is deep red.
- Serve over spaghetti or penne with parmesan cheese as a garnish.
Leave a Reply