“A spicy, tangy sauce that is very easy to make from ingredients almost always in the cupboard. Folklore says it was named for women of the evening who fed this dish to their clients.”
- 500 g whole grain spaghetti or penne (see note below)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch dried chili
- 1 – 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 oz can tomatoes, chopped
- 2/3 cup black olives
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- Heat oil in large sauce pan. Add garlic, dried chili, anchovy paste, capers and olives. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until garlic is golden.
- Add tomatoes. Stir well and cook over medium heat 15-20 minutes until sauce is thickened. Break up any large tomato pieces.
- Toss with cooked pasta. Serve with grated parmesan cheese.
I sometimes add 2 tablespoons of dried basil with the garlic and anchovies for some extra flavour.
WHOLE GRAIN PASTA
Our favourite whole grain pasta is either Catelli Healthy Harvest Flax Omega-3 pasta or Catelli Multigrain. Both have great fiber yet with a better texture and flavour than traditional whole wheat pasta. I usually serve whole wheat pasta with much heavier flavoured tomato based sauces.
YIELD: 4-6 servings
Leave a Reply