After some testing I decided that the best pie crust is 50/50 butter and shortening. I make mine in the food processor which requires a little more water I find.
- 8 T butter (1/2 cup / 113 grams)
- 8 T shortening (1/2 cup / 95 grams)
- 2 3/4 cup cake & pastry flour (325 grams)
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 cup water (ice cold)
I cut butter and shortening into cubes then put both back in the refrigerator for at least an hour, mostly for the shortening to get cold.
- Put flour in food processor.
- Add salt and sugar if using, pulse to mix
- Add butter, pulse until biggest butter pieces are the size of small peas. With my processor I have to stop and scrape down the flour from the sizes at least twice.
- Add all but 2 tablespoons of water, pulse, add more water if needed and pulse until just blended
- Turn onto lightly floured surface. Some flour may be left, just blend in on counter
- Divide in half (about 310g each)
- Form into 2 discs for pies or 2 logs for tarts (6 tarts each log)
- Wrap in saran and put back in fridge for minimum 30 minutes before rolling.
- Roll out dough and place in pie plates.
- Put back in fridge for 30 minutes before baking.
Leave a Reply