“A great holiday roast for entertaining.”
- 1 1/4 cups chopped fresh cranberries
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 8-ounce package herb stuffing mix
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced orange
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3-pound) boneless center cut loin pork roast
- 1/4 cup currant jelly
- 1 tablespoon cranberry liqueur or cassis (optional)
- Toss cranberries with sugar in small bowl; set aside.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat until foamy. Add onion, cook and stir until tender.
- Remove from heat. Combine stuffing mix, broth, orange, egg and orange peel. Add cranberry mixture and onion; toss lightly.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- To butterfly roast, cut lengthwise down roast almost to, but not through bottom. Open like a book. Cover roast with plastic wrap; pound with flat side of meat mallet. You can ask your butcher to butterfly your roast for you.
- Spread butterflied roast with part of stuffing. Close halves together and tie roast with cotton string at 2-inch intervals.
- Place any leftover stuffing in covered casserole; bake with roast during last 45 minutes of cooking time.
- Place roast on meat rack in roasting pan and place in center of oven.
- Combine jelly and liqueur. Brush half of mixture over roast after first 45 minutes. Roast another 30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165F. Brush the remaining jelly mixutre over roast.
- Transfer roast to cutting board, cover with foil and let rest 10 to 15 minutes.
- Slice crosswise and serve with stuffing.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings