“Not too sweet date squares.”
- 8 ounce package chopped dates
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups oatmeal
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup margarine
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 9 x 13″ baking pan.
- Combine dates and water in saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until mixture is thick and dates are very soft.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool.
- Combine flour, oatmeal, sugar, baking soda and salt in mixing bowl.
- Add margarine, work with fingers or spoon until mixture becomes coarse crumbs.
- Pour 2/3 crumb mixture in baking pan. Reserve remaining crumbs.
- Firmly press crumb mixture on bottom of pan. Place date mixture on top. Sprinkle remaining crumbs over date mixture. Press crumbs lightly.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan.
Yield: 24 squares
Leave a Reply