“An easy recipe for caramel popcorn that the kids can make. Store popcorn in a tightly covered container although it will not last long.”
- 20 cups of popped popcorn (about 2 bags microwave popcorn)
- 1-2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 200F.
- In 2-quart saucepan, combine brown sugar, margarine, corn syrup and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full boil. Continue boiling without stirring until candy thermometer reaches 238F or small amount of syrup dropped into very cold water forms a soft ball and flattens on removal from water (about 4 to 6 minutes).
- Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda. Pour over popcorn, stir until all popcorn is coated.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stir. Continue baking for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven; immediately place caramel corn on waxed paper, cool completely. Break into pieces.
Yield: about 22 cups
Leave a Reply