“Bruschetta is best made with tomatoes and basil fresh from the garden.”
- 6 or 7 rip tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- slice onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 to 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 French baguette or similar Italian bread
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Remove skin from tomatoes. Cut in half, remove seeds and chop.
- Put tomatoes, garlic, 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, and vinegar in a bowl and mix.
- Add the chopped basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice baguette on a diagonal about 1/2 inch thick. Toast for 5 to 6 minutes on top rack of oven, until the bread just begins to turn golden brown.
- With a sharp knife, score each slice 3 times. Rub some garlic on the slices and drizzle olive oil on each slice.
- Just before serving align bread on a serving platter, olive oil side up. Place some topping on each slice of bread and serve.
You can do everything except place olive oil and topping on bread ahead of time if you are entertaining. Just before serving, assemble bruschetta, place on a cookie sheet and broil slightly to heat topping. Bruschetta can also be heated on top burner of BBQ if you are grilling.
YIELD: 8-12 servings
Leave a Reply