- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 2 tablespoons rice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In large saucepan, heat olive oil. Add red pepper, onion and garlic. Heat until sizzling then turn to low. Cover and cook gently for 5-10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes. I puree just slightly with hand blender at this point as my family does not like large chunks of tomatoes. Leave chunky.
- Add kidney beans and spices. Stir. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer, covered for 20-30 minutes.
I keep the end rind from left over parmesan cheese. You can add a piece to the soup when you add the kidney beans. Remove what is left of the rind after it is finished simmering.
Freezing: This soup doubles easily and freezes well.
Yield: 6-8 servings