“While the original recipe called for canned tomatoes, I make this recipe every fall with tomatoes and basil from the garden and freeze. Adapted from Pasta Harvest.”
- 500 grams penne or rigatoni
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 small carrot, diced
- 2 celery rib, diced
- 5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 28 ounce tomatoes or 4 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- salt and pepper
- pinch sugar
- Cook pasta al dente.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in skillet. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, oregano and basil. Saute until vegetables are soft and sweet, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Puree sauce with hand blender. Add extra olive oil and sugar if needed.
- Toss with pasta.
This pasta sauce freezes very well.
YIELD: 4-6 servings