“Soup in the summer seems strange but this has a light, fresh green taste that is really enjoyable. Try it with grilled cheese sandwiches.”
- 1 cup garlic scapes or garlic flowers, cut in 1/4 inche pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- Remove flower and top bit from garlic scapes. Cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pot and gently cook the onion until soft and transparent, taking care that they don’t colour.
- Add the garlic flowers/scapes and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until just tender but still vibrantly green.
- Add chicken broth and milk, bring to boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cool then puree.
- Reheat and serve with grilled cheese sandwiches.
Yield: 4-5 small servings