“This is a basic chili recipe. I love chili however my family does not so I do not make mine too spicy. Feel free to add more chili powder if you prefer your chili on the hot side.”
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound hamburger
- 2 28 oz cans tomatoes
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2-4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- In large saucepan, cook onion, mushrooms and red pepper in a bit of olive oil to bring out the sweet flavours. About 5 minutes. Remove to another bowl and set aside.
- In same saucepan, brown hamburger. Return vegetables to saucepan. Add tomatoes, kidney beans, chili powder, garlic, cumin and salt & pepper.
- Bring to low boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 4-5 hours or in slow cooker all day.
- Bring chili back to a slow boil. Mix flour in small amount of water and add to chili stirring to thicken broth.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese with rich bread or on spaghetti.
As with most soups, I make my chili the day before I want to serve it so that the flavours have a chance to mingle.
Freezing: Chili freezes very well.
Yield: 8 servings