“A traditional banana cake recipe.”
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2-3 medium)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 13 by 9 inch pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- Cream together sugar, butter and nutmeg until fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in bananas and vanilla.
- Beat flour mixture into creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk until smooth.
- Stir in nuts.
- Spread batter in pan.
- Bake 30 – 35 minutes or until cake tester inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack.
This is the frosting that came with the recipe however I find it a bit sweet. I usually make the Cream Cheese Frosting that is with my Carrot & Pineapple Cake recipe.
- Combine all ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake.
Yield: 18 pieces