“It’s family tradition to make pressed Christmas cookies and thumbprint cookies every year. The only problem is both my mother and grandmother each had their own recipe so each year I was torn as to which recipe to use. Having experimented, I came up with a third generation recipe of my own! For my Mothers recipe see Mom’s Butter Cookies and for my Grandmother’s version see Grandma’s Shortbread Cookies. My version is based on my Grandmother’s recipe with a slight adaptation to make it easier to put through a cookie press ”
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350F. Use ungreased cookie sheet.
- Cream butter for 30 seconds.
- Add brown sugar and baking powder. Beat until combined.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Mix in as much flour as you can with mixer. Stir in remaining flour.
- Press unchilled dough through cookie press, add dragees or small cut-up pieces of candied cherries for decoration.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Roll dough into walnut sized ball. Roll ball in finely chopped pecans, walnuts or coconut.
- Place on cookie sheet, press hole in centre of cookie with finger. This will flatten cookie somewhat.
- Add small amount jelly in centre hole (raspberry or black current is best).
- Bake 12-15 minutes.
Yield: varies, depend on size of cookies