“If you are in a hurry, pre-made mashed potatoes in the deli section of the grocery store works well in this recipe.”
- 6-7 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper
- 3 – 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 1/2 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 cup peas
- 1 can creamed corn
- 3 pound ground beef or ground lamb
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook potatoes. Mash with butter, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Use 13 x 9 lasagne pan.
- In large pot, heat olive oil. Add carrots, onion and celery. Season with salt & pepper. Cook on medium-low until softened, about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic and Worcestershire sauce, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove vegetable mixture to bowl. Increase heat to medium – add tablespoon olive oil
- Add ground beef, season with salt & brown.
- Spoon off any excessive fat.
- Add back vegetables.
- Add flour and tomato paste stirring about 1 minute.
- Add broth, thyme, rosemary, nutmeg. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add peas and stir. Taste for salt & pepper, add if necessary.
- Pour into 13 x 9 inch lasagne pan.
- Spread creamed corn on top of meat & vegetable mixture.
- Spread mashed potatoes on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes until top is slightly browned and insides are bubbly.
Yield: 13 x 9 lasagne pan