“If you are in a hurry, pre-made mashed potatoes in the deli section of the grocery store works well in this recipe.”
- 6-7 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 1/2 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 3 pound ground beef or ground lamb
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook potatoes. Mash with butter, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Use 13 x 9 lasagne pan.
- In large pot, heat olive oil. Add carrots, onion, garlic and celery. Cook on medium-low until softened, about 15 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium. Add ground beef and brown about 10 minutes.
- Spoon off any excessive fat. Add flour, stirring about 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, thyme, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour into 13 x 9 inch lasagne pan. Spread mashed potatoes on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes until top is slightly browned and insides are bubbly.
Yield: 13 x 9 lasagne pan