Quiche is not complicated and I make mine based on one easy recipe then add whatever flavours, meats, vegetables, or cheeses I want (or have in the garden or refridgerator) for a filling.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cream (half and half or table cream)
- 1 cup grated cheese (your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- single deep pie crust
- Heat oven to 400F.
- Pierce pie crust bottom with a fork, and precook till golden brown around edges, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 375F when pie crust finished.
- Prepare flavour add-ins (meat, vegetables, shredded cheeses)
- Beat egg till combined.
- Stir in cream, salt & pepper.
- Add cheese plus other prepared vegetables, meats.
- Pour into pre-cooked, slightly cooled pie crust.
- Bake at 375F for 35-45 minutes depending on how deep, until no longer runny in the middle but still creamy. Don’t overcook.
Using cream instead of milk will help create a rich taste.
Our favourite flavour options:
The normal combination is around 2 cups of vegetables or meats with a total of one cup of cheese. You can increase some vegetables like spinach, swiss chard or kale to 3 or 4 cups since they cook down so much.
Broccoli and Smoked Cheddar: 2 cups broccoli chopped finely with applewood smoked cheddar
Bacon,Swiss Chard and Onion: Cook 4 slices bacon till crisp. Remove & chop. Remove most of the grease from the pan. Add 1 tablespoon butter. Caramelize 1 small red onion sliced. Add bacon and caramelized onion plus 4 cups finely chopped kale or swiss chard to the quiche mixture. Use feta cheese.
Ham and Swiss: 1/2 cup diced ham, 1/4 cup finely diced onions and swiss cheese with some mustard spread on the bottom of the pie crust before adding the mixture.
Smoked Salmon: 1 cup smoked salmon pieces and 1/2 cup cream cheese plus 1/2 cup mozzarella. Add 1 teaspoon chopped dill.