Winter is a time for root vegetables in our household and I am always looking for a new way to prepare them. Today I roasted parboiled carrots, parsnips and potatoes with browned sausage pieces. A twist on a classic country meal, it was easy to prepare, flavourful and hearty. Served with some fried kale & bread and it was a simple but delicious meal.
- 4 Italian pork or turkey sausages
- 4 large carrots, a mix of yellow and orange, diced
- 2 large parsnips, diced
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 380F.
- Slice sausages into large meatball sized chunks. In a small amount of olive oil, brown sausage until outside is crispy but not yet cooked. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, parboil carrots, parsnips and potatoes for about 10 minutes.
- Drain vegetables and set aside.
- In large bowl, mix 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir in vegetables until coated. Add sauteed sausages and mix.
- Pour vegetable and sausage mixture into oven-proof casserole pan.
- Roast for 20 – 30 minutes until vegetables are tender and begin to brown.