“These are a family favourite. When I was a child my mother made these and we named them ‘gum cookies’ because they were chewy on the inside and crunchy on the outside. This recipe doubles nicely however the cookies need to be eaten fairly quickly to retain their chewy texture — never a problem in our house. ”
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine flour with baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In mixer, cream shortening with white and brown sugar.
- Add beaten egg and vanilla; blend.
- Add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients and blend in mixer until combined.
- Add rolled oats a bit at a time (you may need to blend the last bit by hand as the dough gets quick thick).
- Roll dough into balls, roll balls in sugar.
- Place on cookie sheet, do not press.
- Bake on baking sheet for 10-15 minutes.
Yield: 24-36 cookies