“From Great Moments In Cooking. One Christmas we were invited to a get together with a few couples and I was to bring the appetizer. Just to add a little pressure, the host was a professional caterer! These were a great hit, even our host wanted to know how I made them.”
- puff pastry
- 18 leek rings
- 1 chicken breast, boned
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- Wash leeks. Trim off the green part. Cut the white part into 3/4 inch lengths. Push out the centre of the leeks to form rings about 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Roll out pastry dough and use a cookie cutter to make 18 one inch circles. Place the leek rings in the centre of the pastry. Set aside.
- Put the chicken breast through the food processor. Add the egg. Blend 30 seconds. Gradually pour in the cream.
- Fill theliik rings with the chicken mixture. Place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- If the canape stuffing starts to rise out of the pastry, simply push back in with your finger. Squares of wax paper placed over the canapes will prevent the stuffing from overflowing.
- Serve warm.
Make Ahead: I made these appetizers early in the afternoon then reheated them in a 350F oven for 10-15 minutes until warm again.
Yield: 10-12 servings