“Use good quality cheese and sweet yellow onions for best results.”
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 7 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry sherry or port
- 12 slices french bread, dried (toast if they are not dried)
- 8-10 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
- Melt butter in soup pot. Add sliced onions. Cook on medium-low heat for 45 minutes until golden (stir often and do not burn).
- Add beef broth and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes uncovered.
- Transfer soup to onion soup bowls.
- Add sherry to soup. Spread cheese on bread, put on top of soup and broil.
Yield: 6-8 servings