“Fresh carrots and nuts in a super moist, and spicy, Carrot Muffin. For school lunches, I often make bite-sized mini-muffins. Reduce the baking time to 8-10 minutes.”
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups packed finely shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup golden raisins (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease or line muffin tins.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, cloves and allspice. Set aside.
- Whisk together in large bowl 2 eggs and sugar. Add shredded carrots, orange juice and vegetable oil, raisins and nuts.
- Add flour mix and stir until just combined.
- Divide better among muffin cups. Bake 15 to 18 minutes until a toothpick inserted in muffins comes out clean.
- Let cool for 2 or 3 minutes and remove to rack to cool fully.
These muffins freeze extremely well. Bite-size muffins can be put in lunches frozen and will thaw by lunch time.
Yield: 12 large muffins, 24 mini muffins